In “The Fog of War” (2003), former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara talks about eleven life lessons:
- Emphasize with your enemy.
- Rationality will not save us.
- There’s something beyond one’s self.
- Maximize efficiency.
- Proportionality should be a guideline in war.
- Get the data.
- Belief and seeing are both often wrong.
- Be prepared to reexamine your reasoning.
- In order to do good, you may have to engage in evil.
- Never say never.
- You can’t change human nature.
If you haven’t seen the documentary yet, do so. It’s enlightening.